Chronic Disease Specialists
The doctors at First Physicians, in Odessa Texas are experts at providing help managing chronic health conditions such as, but not limited to, asthma, diabetes and high blood pressure. First Physicians has 3 convenient locations to serve you in Odessa, Texas at East University, Wendover and Westview. If you have one or more chronic illnesses and are looking for a skilled doctor to help with your management, call First Physicians for an appointment.
Chronic Disease Q & A
Most experts agree that a disease or condition is considered chronic, if it has been present for three months or more. Some diseases like, asthma, cancer, and diabetes can affect people at any age, but with advancing age comes an increased risk of developing 1 or more chronic diseases.
Diseases such as arthritis, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cancer, cardiovascular disease, peripheral vascular disease, type 1 diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease, and some ongoing mental disorders are illnesses that are considered chronic.
Some chronic diseases develop because of genetic — hereditary — risk factors. Others develop from of lifestyle choices. While you can’t change your heredity or family medical history, it’s helpful to know which lifestyle choices raise your risk for developing a chronic illness. They are:
- Smoking any type of tobacco
- Second hand exposure to tobacco smoke
- Being sedentary and not physically active
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Eating too much saturated fat
- Eating too much salt
- Not eating enough fresh fruits, fresh vegetables or lean proteins
- Being overweight or obese
For example, smoking damages your lungs and arteries and raises your risk of developing several types of cancer, including lung cancer, COPD as well as increasing your risk for cardiovascular disease. High blood pressure — hypertension — increases your risk of having a heart attack and stroke and can also damage the arteries of your kidneys, which raises your risk of having chronic kidney disease.
The doctors at First physicians are skilled at treating chronic diseases and will:
- Discuss your personal medical history and family medical history
- Discuss your diet and how you can improve it to help your condition
- Talk about your level of fitness and how much you should exercise
- Assess current medications, their effectiveness and make any changes needed
- Examine your emotional health to determine if anxiety or depression are impacting your health
- Discuss weight loss and weight management to reduce symptoms